Title: Development Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Based at: Durham office/virtual
Job Type: Full-Time Exempt
Job Description Updated 4/20/20 – Position will remain posted until filled.
Me Fine is an organization that operates with a small but indomitable staff. With few shoulders to carry the burdens of a $1M organization, our team holds an incredibly high standard of commitment to our work. Being a part of the Me Fine team has very many rare benefits, but our culture demands that team members each show dedication to one another and to our roles within the organization. We aim to exceed the expectations of the community and deliver on our obligations to the families we serve. If working with other self-motivated high-achievers doesn’t excite you, Me Fine may not be the best fit for you.
The Development Director for the Me Fine Foundation has four main job priorities:
- Identify new funding sources + relationships
- Steward & upgrade existing funding sources + relationships
- Maintain organization’s communication and messaging with base
- Enhance Me Fine’s brand in the community via annual communication and fundraising plans
Me Fine prides itself on being an organization committed to transformational relationships, not transactional ones. This value should be woven into any and all annual plans, campaigns, and communication aspects of the organization.
In the day-to-day of the job, these four priorities may take the shape of:
- Draft, execute and evaluate annual fundraising plan in partnership with Executive Director, Development Committee Chair, and other board members as needed
- Initiate, grow, and nurture relationships: prospects, lapsed donors, current donors, corporate partners, program officers, board members, hospital partners — anyone who is part of the broader Me Fine community
- Create donor campaigns that incorporate direct mail, email, phone solicitation, in-person meetings, and/or other necessary channels to target specific donor segments for unrestricted funding; prepare campaign reports to help inform future goals and strategies
- Acknowledge supporters’ gifts based on the level/type (examples include: completing offline donation letters, handwriting thank you notes, following-up via phone, shepherding board members for appreciation outreach)
- Identify potential corporate/event sponsors as well as potential corporate partners; draft and present proposals when necessary for longer-term partnerships
- Collaborate with Outreach Team members on grants, including, but not limited to identifying and researching prospective grants; meeting with program officers; writing outlines/full proposals; editing proposals; completing necessary reports for awarded grants
- Create and curate content to share (as part of Me Fine’s annual communications plan) through multiple channels – newsletter, blog, social media, website, press releases, etc.
- Establish and maintain annual metrics to track communications and marketing efforts, especially in relation to fundraising campaigns;
- Support opportunities for story-collection from Me Fine’s stakeholders: families, hospital staff, donors, volunteers, board members, staff, etc;
- Help members of Me Fine’s Board of Directors fulfill their annual commitments to the organization’s strategic priorities
- Solicit sponsorship, ticket sales for Me Fine’s signature events in conjunction with Development Committees; manage sponsorship fulfillment and other outstanding donations across all events
- Partner with the Development Committee Chair to set goals for Committee; provide committee members with the materials and information necessary to be successful in achieving said goals
- Work in tandem with Executive Director and key board members to engage regularly with major donors/major donor prospects;
Update donor and constituent contacts, data, and touches in CRM (Constituent Relations Management) software.
Outside of these core duties, the person in this position should be prepared to assume the below responsibilities as well; level of ownership will be determined by the above priorities, organizational capacity, and discretion of Executive Director:
- Participate in Music for Me Fine and Gala committees beyond initiating and following-up with funders. This may include creating website/marketing/social media content; providing logistical oversight; representing the organization with third-party vendors; contracting design services for needed collateral; and day-of-event management
- Speak to local groups, professional associations, companies, and other public venues to bring greater awareness to Me Fine’s mission and offer opportunities for engagement
- Partner with community groups and nonprofit organizations when Me Fine is identified and accepts as beneficiary for fundraisers
Support in-kind donation drives, other ad-hoc volunteer opportunities
The next Development Director for the Me Fine Foundation should come prepared to:
- Work independently and collaboratively
- Be eager to learn, grow, and teach as a fundraiser and nonprofit professional
- Participate in creating the annual budget, hiring processes, and other organizational decision-making opportunities as needed
- Establish and evaluate metrics for organizational development performance
- Give and receive constructive feedback
- Be assertive
- Use your heart and head in making a strong case for support of Me Fine’s mission
- Have fun and build relationships with colleagues
- Make a positive impact on the organization and community
- 3+ years in nonprofit development position OR 5+ years in equivalent work experiences that highlight skills required for a development position
- Experience in campaign-building and stewarding relationships
- Event management experience preferred
- Knowledge of comprehensive fund development plans, with direct experience developing/implementing preferred
- Ability to motivate yourself and others
- Prospecting ability and comfort with cold-calling
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Presentation skills and closing acumen
- Ability to delegate and follow-up on responsibilities in a timely fashion
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Good leadership skills with an appetite for further professional development
- Database management
- Ability to maintain client and Foundation confidentiality
- Ability to prioritize, plan, and meet deadlines consistently
- Strong intrapersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse set of stakeholders
- Comfort with accountability and performance-based metrics
- Salary range: $40,000 – $60,000, with incentive plan
- Employee-covered health insurance
- Retirement contribution and employer match
- Paid holidays, vacation days and sick leave
- Parking at American Tobacco Campus in downtown Durham
Confidentiality Agreement: Our standard confidentiality agreement must be signed prior to employment.
Phone/Travel Expenses: Cell phone reimbursement will be provided. Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed on a monthly basis per company policy (reimbursable travel includes necessary, work-related trips outside of normal travel to hospitals, Me Fine Office, and other regular commutes). All expenses are subject to management discretion.
Your employment with Me Fine Foundation is at-will and either party can terminate the relationship at any time with or without cause and with or without notice.
To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Me Fine Foundation will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Me Fine does not discriminate in hiring, promotion, or any other aspect of your employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested, motivated, and qualified applicants should send an email to jobs at mefinefoundation dot org including the following:
(Any applications that do not include all of the following will not be considered)
- Cover letter
- Active references
Me Fine is a small but powerful staff with limited bandwidth: in this spirit, we ask that you NOT call/leave voicemails about your application. Thank you!